Thursday, November 3, 2011

Vegetarian green bean and broccolli couscous

Last night, I was looking for something light and easy (and off course healthy) for dinner for my son and I, and as usual I was looking for someway to incorporate some vegetables into dinner - I had green beans, broccoli and mushrooms in my refrigerator, so I decided on a couscous dish with these vegetables. (Following in the color tradition we set at Halloween, my son calls it the green couscous).


Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat couscous
1/2 broccoli - cut into small pieces
15-20 green beans washed and sliced thinly
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup thinly sliced white onions
1/2 tsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp cooking oil
Lemon juice to garnish

For couscous
Boil a cup of water and add salt and 1/2 tsp butter. Then add the couscous. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Then shut off the heat, cover and leave. Open after 7-8 minutes, and stir with a fork.


For the vegetables
First steam the broccoli and green beans till the are tender. In a pan, heat the cooking oil, add sliced onions and mushrooms. When the onions turn slightly golden, add the broccoli and beans. Add salt and pepper to season. And cover the pan. Allow the vegetables to cook on low heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.


Serving
Place the couscous on a plate. Add vegetable on top. And garnish with lemon - fresh lemon juice gives a great flavour to the dish.
(Needless to say, it was a hit with my son! ?Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment